Monday, September 16, 2013

Kicking off week 38

My "weeks" turn on Saturdays and for the sake of these updates and for simplicity, I've been using Monday through Sunday as a "week".  Since I updated 37 weeks twice I figured that I would just start off week 38 with my goals for the week and and update of the weekend (where week 37 turned into 38).

I mentioned here how week 37 turned into a no workout week into a "let's try yoga again" and see where it goes.  As I had hoped, I was able to make it to the pool on Friday and managed a nice and easy 1850M swim.  I tried to lay out and just relax but it was SO HOT!  Sweat was just rolling down my belly after a few short minutes and being in the pool was a quite the refreshing relief I needed.

I started off with my usual 800M warm up.  200 free, 200 kick, 200 pull and 200 one arm drill. I lost track of my laps and ended swimming an extra 50 for good measure.
I wasn't sure what to do next so I pulled my phone and flipped through previous updates to get a quick workout in my head.  I decided on the 5, 3, 5 stroke routine because I knew that would give me a good cardio workout (take a breath after x strokes).  It looked like this:

2x
200 5
100 3
50 5

Because holding my breath for 5 strokes was REALLY hard, I need extra rest so it ended up looking more like this:

200 5
50 EZ
100 3
50 5
50 Backstroke (catch my breath)
100 5
50 EZ
100 5
50 EZ
100 3
50 5

If you do the math, I swam way more! (900M v 700M for a the main w/o) and then I tacked on an additional 100 as a cool down.  I felt fantastic and I couldn't believe how all my aches and discomforts were completely non-existent while in the pool.  Noticed that for the most part of the workout, I had the pool to myself.  There was one swimmer that came later and I observed him using a snorkel.  He came and went while I continued on with my laps.  A few others joined in towards the ends and one guy even asked me where I bought my "tube".  I thought it odd that in the past I had never seen anyone use one (but me) and now I saw one guy and another wanted to get one.  Recall here and here how I discussed my use of this tool and my goals of letting it go.  Just an observation I wanted to pass along is all...

On Sunday, I had to drop one child off at soccer practice while picking up the other since hubby is coaching them both.  He had the joys of dealing with that miserable heat for...almost 4 hours?! What a champ he is!
Luckily for us, the field is about a half mile away from the house so I decided we'd walk there with the baby in the jogger.  We did just that and I continued walking on the track and then walked back and up again and back (because 1.5 miles seemed too short and not something I would consider a workout.  At 38 weeks pregnant.  Yes, I'm silly.)...When I was 2.75 miles in an about .25 miles from home, I decided to run.  You know...just to see how it felt.

At first if felt a little tight but then it felt good.  My calves got that burning feeling when I start off a run (after not running for awhile) and everything just clicking into gear.  Boy did I miss it!  Before I knew it I was home and I was both sad and glad.  Sad because I had a little more in me to keep going but glad because if I did go more, I'd probably regret that this baby would have an earlier birth date than anticipated. :D

So...by normal update standards, 37 weeks & full term allowed me do jump into yoga, do a complete Masters Swim workout and get a little walk/run in too.  It CAN be done!  And I feel great today to boot too.

Let's see what week 38 has to offer but I already feel accomplished and satisfied thus far.  If I had to plan it out, I'd love to go to my Aerial conditioning class and get a swim in on Friday.  Let's see if I make it that far!

Happy Monday!

~V


No comments:

Post a Comment