Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sweet Tart

Over Thanksgiving, I tried a new dessert recipe a friend recommended that was somewhat daunting because it involved meringue! and whipping! and lightly toasting! ...all things that for a rather green cook, could be absolutely terrifying.  The fear involved is usually related to trying a new recipe on a day that it will be consumed at a large gathering BY a large gathering.  Oh, the pressure!!!

Nonetheless, I have been known to take a challenge in the kitchen every now and again and once the supplies and ingredients are bought...IT. IS. ON.

So, the recipe in question is for Lemon Meringue Pie.  The first one I have ever made in my LIFE. It was surprisingly easy to make and making the meringue "peaks" was kinda fun too.  I actually let my daughter help me with those and she went a little crazy with that and made them sky high!

Although I enjoyed the pie, I didn't have but a small taste and I didn't think much of it because there were so many desserts on the table, I wasn't even sure if anyone got around to eating it.  That is, until later that weekend.  I left the pie at my friend's house and heard raving reviews about how awesome it was.  I was taken aback by the compliment which was furthered by a request for ANOTHER.  WHAT?  Something *I* made? That's just unheard of.

Months have gone by and I heard of this "recipe redo" request once more, and I thought surely, someone was just being their normal sweet self and extending an unnecessary compliment.  But now that my friend's birthday has arrived, Lemon Meringue Pie has come up again.

So, when his wife asks a group of us where we can "buy" a great pie, I jumped in and offered to make it again.  She said he wouldn't want to share so I made TWO. I bought my supplies on the way home and made them to bring to dinner.  However, one thing I didn't consider is the "setting" time.  Whoops.
Although the taste was great, because it was still warm (mostly because I altered the recipe a tad), the filling was not as firm as I would have liked and it didn't look as pretty when sliced. *Lesson learned...do it the night before and let it sit in the fridge like at Thanksgiving or...follow the recipe.  Ahem. :/

Lemon Meringue Pie

Filling:
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk 
1/2 cup lemon juice 
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest 
3 egg yolks 
1 (8-inch) prebaked pie shell or crumb crust**
Meringue: 
3 egg whites 
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar 
1/4 cup sugar


In medium bowl, combine milk, lemon juice, and zest; blend in egg yolks. Pour into cooled crust. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks from. Gradually beat in the sugar until stiff. Spread over filling; seal to edge of crust. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.

**Rather than the pre-baked pie shell, I used the Pillsbury roll out Pie Crusts (you'll catch a glimpse of them in the video).  These need to be baked for about 10-12 minutes and COOLED before filling.  (this is where I went wrong in trying to serve it just minutes later)  If in a hurry to serve immediately, definitely use the pre-baked.

Here's how I did it in 6 seconds. :)



Let me know if you give it a whirl and how it turns out.
Enjoy!

Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment