Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Cucumber Smoothie Recipe

My morning smoothies come into existence from two main things:  time and available ingredients.
My hubby is the grocery shopper (can I get an Amen?!) so smoothie ingredients are not on the "regular" list unless I make a special request.  I've been a total slacker in the meals department lately and have been winging it with the bare essentials for weeks and weeks.  Luckily, my daughter has started some health kick with her friends and has been tagging along with dad on grocery nights.

She takes fruit infused water bottles to school every day and makes herself a healthy lunch and snacks.  Thankfully, I've been able to hijack some of her ingredients for my smoothies! Ha!  Unfortunately, the only green thing she bought this time was cucumbers and avocados.  But fortunately, I've learned that cucumbers are AWESOME.

I threw half of one in my smoothie earlier this week and really enjoyed the crisp, fresh taste.  This morning, I had a few extra minutes to throw another together and used up some more of her ingredients (shhh) plus a few of my own non perishable ones. It was delicious!

Cucumber Fruity Smoothie
1 banana
3/4 cucumber
few strawberries
few raspberries
1 cup of pineapple
2 figs
chia seeds
ice


I knew cucumbers had some healing anti inflammatory benefits.  I've seen them commonly at the spa sliced in water for drinking or heard of slices over the eyes to reduce swelling.  With all my exercise, I thought I could certainly use some of that anti-inflammatory action on my sore muscles.  Can't hurt right? Simultaneously yummy and healing?  Can't beat that!  

I decided to look them up and learn more about cucumbers and what else exactly they are known for. I found that they are a one of the world's healthiest foods! They're full of vitamins and minerals and are not only anti-inflammatories but also anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, great for skin and hair, aids good breath, rehydrates and even promotes joint health!  There are tons of articles out there (two of which I've linked) noting all of their wonderfulness.

I think I will keep these on the "regular" shopping list because in a pinch, they can make a refreshing smoothie or put a pep in a glass of water while reaping the rewards of all the benefits they have to offer.  I've found lots of easy recipes where we can quickly incorporate a summer salad with our dinners too!

Follow me on Pinterest if you've haven't yet to see what recipes I'll be pinning later to try out.

Happy Wednesday all and don't forget to keep moving!

Valerie :)




No comments:

Post a Comment